Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rangers Make Offer



Over at ESPN they are reporting the rangers along with other teams have made offers for defenseman Brian Campbell:




The Rangers, Senators, Bruins, Flyers, Sharks and Ducks have all made offers for Sabres D Brian Campbell, according to the Ottawa Sun.

Of course Buffalo wants the soon-to-be unrestricted free agent too, and the Sabres and Campbell's agent met last week to continue contract talks, according to The Buffalo News.

"We didn't go from zero to 100 today but we're still moving down the road," Sabres GM Darcy Regier told The News. "But I think the fact that you're communicating means you are moving down the road."

Regier told the paper no new offers were exchanged between him and Campbell's agent, Larry Kelly.

The Sun previously reported that the Sabres are willing to sign Campbell for $6M to $7M per season, but they will do that only with the purpose of trading him.

Regier has conceded that trading Buffalo's All-Star defenseman is an option, according to The News.

"[A trade] doesn't concern me right now," Campbell told The News. "Buffalo is where I believe I'll be at the end of the year. I feel strongly about it but I do know it's out of my control. I'm focused on the Sabres and that's it. Any time deadline day comes around for any player, you never know. For me, I hope that never is the case that I get traded."
The News previously said the Sabres rejected a five-year, $25M proposal from Campbell's agent over the summer and will likely have to pay more to avoid losing him as they did Cs Daniel Briere and Chris Drury after last season.

Campbell could make about $6M to $6.5M per season on the open market, according to The News.

Chicago is known to covet Campbell and is weighing whether to put a package of players and picks together or risk waiting until he's a free agent.

The asking price for Campbell is a player, a prospect and a No. 1 pick, according to the Sun.

Campbell, 28, will make $1.75 million this season.

Bookmark this post:
Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google